Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A gun for Valentine's Day.


For Valentine’s Day, my boyfriend said he was getting me a hand gun. I protested because I had pretty high expectations for a fancy dinner and flowers (and I’ve never actually held a gun before, let alone shot one), but I was hit with a very calculated (and well rehearsed) rebuttal.
“A gun is the most romantic gift you can give.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Flowers may be beautiful, but no matter what you do, they will die, and that is certainly not a good example of my love. A gun, however, will not die. It says ‘I love you so much that I want to protect you and keep you safe.’ It says that I will love you forever.”

As my boyfriend waited for applause, I actually started thinking… If I did have a gun, would my insurance cover it? (When you work in an insurance office, liability coverage replaces any and all romance in your life.)

But seriously… Of all the things in this world, that would be the one policy I would not want to be caught without!   

And so the research began.
Homeowner’s policies do not cover “intentional loss.” I.E. Because of my gross inexperience with firearms, going to a shooting range would be the first thing I would do with my Valentine’s present. Making that shooting range in my living room, however, would not be wise. But, I read on, if there was “bodily injury resulting from the use of reasonable force to protect persons or property,” then the policy would be effective.
So reasonable force? That thought made my head spin. So a burglar, a serial killer, GASP, alien invasion!? Fortunately for me, that exclusion is decided on a case to case basis, so my wildest reverie could be put to rest.

As I tried explaining my findings to my boyfriend with a robust tangent about aliens, he told me to go talk to an agent in the office. (Apparently my monologue was less epic than his.) And as always, they were able to explain gun liability with an ease and grace I will never quite comprehend.
I took the wind out of the sails on the whole gun gift and got my fancy dinner. But over wine and steak, I agreed that I would be open to the possibility of a gun in the future.

As long as it’s pink.  

For your own personal gratification, here is the article on gun liability. But I’d also encourage you to stop by and ask one of our agents any and all questions you might have. Especially if you have a wild imagination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment